Official listing   No 64  grade II

With No 66 Bridge Street; No 57 West Street (qv) forms return side. 3 storeys, stuccoed with rusticated

quoins. Good Victorian shop front with slender fluted columns and decorated pediments over 2 doors (shop

where the original "Berwick cockles" are sold), 6 12-paned sash windows on first floor, and 6 later sashes

on top floor.




No 64

2010                                                           Grocers Est 1801 William Cowe & Sons closed 2010

1952,38,35,29,25,11,10,06,02            Grocers and confectioners William Cowe & Sons

1938                                                           Insurance Mitchell

1925,11,10,06                                          Insurance Peter Cowe

1897,87                                                      Grocers & Provision dealers William Cowe & Sons

1891                                                           Unoccupied

Cowe’s makers of the original Berwick Cockles moved from Marygate into this premises in the 19th century.

No 64 has many original features in tact. Including cupboards and paneling.


 The first floor has a very fine mid 18th century chimney piece with overmantle frame for mirror or painted panel.  Fine 18th century staircase.

The courtyard behind, reached from Eastern Lane has traces of the Medieval wall and interesting cobbled paving