24 (22) BRIDGE STREET
Official listing No 24 grade II
Included in previous provisional list as Nos 20 and 22. C18, brick, 2 storeys, pantiled roof, 3 12-paned sash
windows above modern shop front. Small skylight in roof.
No 22 now 24
2010 Convenience Store Ace
1952,38 Fried Fish Restaurant/Dealer Wm Burgin
1935 “ Fried Fish Restaurant/Dealer Mrs. Meston
1929,25 Confectioners Signoini Bros
1910 Draper Mrs. Elizabeth Weatherburn
1906 Milliner Mrs. Janet Welsh
1902,1897 Milliner Miss Margaret Schooler
1901census Milliner Miss Margaret Schooler and No.24
1891census Watchmaker Robert Friar
1887 Boot and Shoemaker & dealer William Weatherstone
1879,73 Watchmaker Robert Friar
The door to the left of Ace Stores leads to a courtyard behind No 26, in which are situated Nos 20A, 22A & B, and a building known as the “Old Smithy”none of which are listed.
The smithy retains an original “high draft chimney” presumably from a forge.
To the right side stairs rise through the medieval wall to a flat piece of land behind Nos 12—30. This is bounded on the North by the Maltings car park and a building known as”the Old Military Stables” now Kreative Technology.
The retaining wall bears traces of pockets for beam ends and the remains of a hearth and chimney behind No 12.
There is a mystery object, the remains of a carved drain surround (or possibly a mortar behind the smithy.
View from the top of the stairs, rear of Nos 12—24